Custom Search

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Uninvited Guest: AKA "Mouse in the House"

This one's for my father whose constant love and support, especially in all my writing endeavors, means the world to me. I love you dad!

It was a cold winter day. The brisk chill in the air bit at my face as I walked home, juggling several hefty bags of groceries in my arms. Finally home, I dropped the bags in relief just as I swung open the front door. I wrestled with the key in the old antique-like lock until it finally released. I, then grabbed the bags once again with one giant swoop and plopped them on top of the white kitchen counter. As I walked to the closet and quickly placed my coat and scarf, I heard a faint squeaking noise. Barely laudable, I dismissed it and walked to the bedroom to continue to undo my layers of winter clothing. I whipped off my hat and boots, only to hear a slight scampering of what seemed like tiny feet. As I turned my head to check, "ahhhh!", I screamed as I dropped my hat to the floor and jumped what amazingly appeared to be a good 3 feet onto the bed. And there he stood. His beady little eyes and twitching nose were almost endearing as he just paused and looked up at me in awe. And then, within seconds, he was off, under the dresser to hide. I, startled and initially deathly afraid of this minuscule furry creature, began to laugh hysterically at myself. He was actually quite charming. I could only imagine what he was thinking, just as Remy from Disney's Pixar film Ratatouille would have thought, "seriously, what's she afraid of? I'm the one who should be running for dear life!" And that's exactly what he did and I never saw him again. I learned a lesson that day--things aren't always as they appear to be. In this fast-pace life, we often "jump" without really analyzing the situation first. So, remember, always take a step back in any given situation for things are not always as scary as they may seem!

1 comment:

  1. Such a cute story!! What are you going to do about him now!! Are you going to set a trap or keep him as a pet? You shouldn't have seen his cute little face!! That makes it so much harder to set a trap. Maybe you can catch him and set him free.

    ReplyDelete